This day long workshop which will reveal the secrets of theatre lighting in a way that is accessible to everybody, stripping back the jargon and enabling participants to gain an insight into the lighting process.
This is an entry-level course aimed at anyone who takes part in theatre at any level and would like to get a better understanding of lighting.
This course is ideal for directors, writers, designers who know how they want the lighting to look but aren’t sure how to translate that to a lighting designer.
By the end of the day you will:
- Understand how a lighting designer works
- Be able to interpret design ideas from scripts
- Be able to identify different lanterns and know their purpose
- Be able to communicate lighting ideas to a designer
- Know the different lighting positions and what they are used for
- Understand what paperwork a lighting designer creates
- Get hands on experience with lanterns and a lighting desk
- Be able to focus and rig lanterns safely
- Have lots of handy paperwork examples and ideas for future productions
Please wear sensible clothing as this workshop will involve some practical work.
We will stop for lunch at 12:30pm – Please bring food with you (there is a Co-op and a Macolls close to the Rondo).
Suitable for age 16+
– – –
This course will be run by Theatre Bath Founder/Creative Director, Luke John Emmett:
Luke John Emmett has lit many different productions and events, many of which have gone on to win awards (Phantom of the Opera, Technical Achievement Award). He has over 10 years professional experience in technicial theatre and has lit everything from concerts to musicals and straight plays to weddings.
Previous productions lit include: Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Phantom of the Opera, Grease, Fame, Sweeney Todd, Annie, Beauty & The Beast, Animal Farm, Return to the Forbidden Planet, Alice in Wonderland, The Bronte Season, The Persistence of Memory, Resurrection and The Bluebird.
For more information and examples of previous work visit: www.lukejohnemmett.co.uk
Sunday 30 November
10am – 4pm
The Rondo Theatre, St Saviours Road, Larkhall, Bath BA1 6RT
£10 (including fees)
Tickets available from:
We kindly acknowledge the support of: